6 foot limit of liquid tight for hot tub

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
680.42(A)(1) in the 2023 code doesn't show a maximum length for flexible conduit.
Do you know the code cycle when the inspector made the comment?

Ron

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
One electrical inspector some years ago told me that I used more than 6 foot of liquidtight to a hot tub and that is not allowed. He didn't make me change it but, was he right ?
I recall years ago maybe 15 or so I heard the same exact thing about it. No one ever had a code article but many people said the same exact thing.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe the 2011 NEC was the last addition that limited Liquidtight conduit to 6' for packaged SPA/Hot Tub units

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
2011 NEC Below:

680.42 Outdoor Installations.

A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.
(A) Flexible Connections.

Listed packaged spa or hot tub equipment assemblies or self-contained spas or hot tubs utilizing a factory-installed or assembled control panel or panelboard shall be permitted to use flexible connections as covered in 680.42(A)(1) and (A)(2).
(1) Flexible Conduit.

Liquidtight flexible metal conduit or liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted in lengths of not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) external to the spa or hot tub enclosure in addition to the length needed within the enclosure to make the electrical connection.
(2) Cord-and-Plug Connections.

Cord-and-plug connections with a cord not longer than 4.6 m (15 ft) shall be permitted where protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.