6 switch rule for group metering

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndc81167

Iam Trying to find in the NEC the rules for 230.71 the tell us we need to have a main overcurrent device or can we have a non fused disconnect in front of the 6 main circuit breakers for group metering,..

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might be referring to 230.91. This has been used locally when a non-fuse disconnect was used as a service disconnect. The AHJ decided the meters/disconnects adjacent to the switch met 230.91.
It might be important to note most if not all non-fuse switches carry a 10k AIC rating.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would have thought if the disconnect was on the load side of the meter then it would need to be fused but the disconnect may not even be necessary with 6 handle rule.

ndc81167

230.91 refers to location,,,,, my question is if i get a service rated non fused disconnect (cold sequnced) (thats installed before the group metering) would
that be code compliant?... does the code require that disconnect to have overcurrent protection?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In our jurisdiction if it is in fact a "cold sequence switch" we consider that a POCO requirement and, as they lock it so that it is of no use as a occupant service-disconnect, we basically ignore it... but that;s here.

Status
Not open for further replies.