60 & 90 Day Deadbeats

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The only person that ever went unpaid on payday was me.
Same here. On paper, I paid myself $15 an hour. In practice, I wrote $50 and $100 checks for pocket money and once in awhile a few hundred to the family if wife's salary wouldn't cover mortgage that month. I never did enough consistent volume to have any real cash flow. The few employees or temps I had were always paid.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Same here. On paper, I paid myself $15 an hour. In practice, I wrote $50 and $100 checks for pocket money and once in awhile a few hundred to the family if wife's salary wouldn't cover mortgage that month. I never did enough consistent volume to have any real cash flow. The few employees or temps I had were always paid.
Once I decided to be real, incorporated, raised rates, and maintained employees. I got paid every week and with vacations every year.

kwired

Electron manager
Did some work years ago for an area nursing home that was owned by a larger company that operated nation wide, was first time doing any work for this company. Can't recall if I sent bill to local site or to corporate (out of state), but sort of doesn't matter. I wait for most of 30 days then corporate sends me a W9 and maybe other paperwork to fill out and return before they will pay me. Then of course takes another 30 days or so before they send a check.

Sad thing is if I owed them anything or at least was responsible for making payments for say a relative they were taking care of in their facility they would have likely been pretty aggressive about trying to collect it. :(

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
QuickBooks is the way to go. Serice call up front Diagnostics Charge $150.00. Once we arrive estimate for work, customer accepts, charged to QuickBooks. We are happy and customer is happy. End of service call.

jmellc

Occupation
A former employer did work for a mechanics shop. Took forever to get paid. We took a truck there for repair he but had to have cash before it left
That sort of reminds me of a similar dichotomy. I took my truck to a body shop & paid them $4,500 & change to work on my truck. I looked at a basement remodel job for 1 of the managers there. I think my quote was about $1,500, He balked that I was too high. I take work to him that he does at the shop so he can sell high. I'm supposed to travel to work at his house so I can sell low?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
That sort of reminds me of a similar dichotomy. I took my truck to a body shop & paid them $4,500 & change to work on my truck. I looked at a basement remodel job for 1 of the managers there. I think my quote was about $1,500, He balked that I was too high. I take work to him that he does at the shop so he can sell high. I'm supposed to travel to work at his house so I can sell low?

The trades are a dwindling. Don't give your expertise away for nothing.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
And you were "high" partly due to cost of maintaining truck

(Of course I doubt that you were high)

jmellc

Occupation
Idk it'd have to be a real small basement for me to be 1500.
I was pricing less than my previous 2 bosses due to the terrible economy at the time. I think I was generally about midrange overall, but of course customers were also getting quotes from handymen and leaf rakers.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I was pricing less than my previous 2 bosses due to the terrible economy at the time. I think I was generally about midrange overall, but of course customers were also getting quotes from handymen and leaf rakers.
You don't want to have to compete against those kinds of people and you don't want customers who would even compare you to them.

jmellc

Occupation
Did some work years ago for an area nursing home that was owned by a larger company that operated nation wide, was first time doing any work for this company. Can't recall if I sent bill to local site or to corporate (out of state), but sort of doesn't matter. I wait for most of 30 days then corporate sends me a W9 and maybe other paperwork to fill out and return before they will pay me. Then of course takes another 30 days or so before they send a check.

Sad thing is if I owed them anything or at least was responsible for making payments for say a relative they were taking care of in their facility they would have likely been pretty aggressive about trying to collect it. :(

Apartment complexes could be that way too. I worked for some that wouldn't make any deposits on a job. They, who collect deposits out the wazoo from tenants and delay refunds at least 30 days in most cases.

I worked for an insurance company in another lifetime, a desk job. Company went on a huge campaign to urge customers to pay on time or ahead. At same time, they started delaying payments out. Worked out well for them until the DMV cut off service for driving record information. A check was hand delivered to DMV in a couple of hours. They are just like Inspections, get behind a few days and get cut off.