60A receptacle power

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollin772

Occupation
Electrician
Hoping someone else may have come across something like this or have some ideas to help me out.

I am on a project where through out the site there are various locations for food vendors. All outdoors, a lot of it located in landscaping. At each of these locations they want (4) 15A GFCI receptacles, and (2) 14-60R. Straight from the drawings it says the following..."WP POWER OUTLETS FLOOR MOUNT (2) NEMA 14-60R, (4) NEMA 5-15R".

My issue is I can not find anything for a floor mount 14-60R. Most of these locations are no where near a wall or anything either. I asked about pouring a small concrete pad to mount a pedestal but that was shot down. Only safe thing I can come up with is replacing the NEMA 14-60R with a watertight 60A Pin & Sleeve connector. Connected to a NEMA 4 PVC box mounted inside a Kristi Box with SOOW cable and a watertight strain relief connector. Even then when it's in use it's going to be a potential trip hazard.

After calling around it sounds like it's basically only Pin & Sleeve devices or Pedestal's found at camp sites for motor home connections to do 60A outdoor receptacles.

rollin772

Occupation
Electrician
I guess he figured he'd take the idea of an indoor floor-box and just throw it outside in the grass and dirt *shrug*. Legrand actually has some nice ones like part#XB814 meant to go outside but nothing that goes up to 60A.

If you can't make an above-ground "structure" (even a short post), then you probably need to go with a Quartzite/Kristi box and devices rated for wet environments, which probably means you're into pin/sleeve connectors and their cost(!), and would need adapters (additional cost!).

Also, I'd never to 14-60s; I'd do 14-50s or a CS6369 (panel mount female) connector since those are what food trucks generally use (I can only think of one place I know that uses 14-60s, and it's for their own kit). I'd also install a L14-30 since those are common on food trucks, too.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
.............................which probably means you're into pin/sleeve connectors and their cost(!), and would need adapters (additional cost!).

There is such an animal as a 14-60 without going pin & sleeve

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
14-60 devices certainly exist, but the OP's customer is asking for something that is actually going to be _underground_. They want something like a 'floor box' where you lift a cover and plug stuff in...but they want this out of doors in landscaping.

As the OP mentions in post 3, Legrand makes something that fits the bill in terms of being an outdoor 'floor box' https://www.legrand.us/markets-solutions/outdoor/ground-box.aspx but the available versions only go up to 30A devices.

Any underground setups have to be treated as potentially being underwater.

Personally I think that this is a case of the OP's customer having to re-think what they are asking for. Perhaps a ground level concrete pad with cable sitting in it, and place for an electrician to install a pedestal if a food vendor gets 'parked' there (in many locations the 'food trucks' don't move) Or perhaps just large conduit with nothing in them at all, designed to be chases for temporary SO cords as needed. Or perhaps they just need to suck it up and accept permanent pedestals, possibly with lights or other features to make them more attractive.

-Jon

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think there needs to be some rethinking of the design. maybe a type 3R box with the outlets on the inside with the cords coming out an open bottom mounted on a post.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Fyi those legrand boxes are about $1k ea. I have several going in on a project right now.

As for an in-ground solution that may work; i have another project in the works where the specification is to install 24x36 Quazite box, mount a box on the inside wall of the quazite box and install receptacles. That size quazite box is also $1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rollin772

Occupation
Electrician
Just an update. The RFI finally came back, apparently it had come back before I posted this but it failed to reach those of us in the field. They are still adamant about the 60A and they accepted the idea of the Pin&Sleeve. It's gonna look like a hot mess. We are going to have an 11x17 kristi box where our power will be spliced. Next to that will be a pair of stacked 17x28" kristi boxes, we will have (2-4) 3/4" PVC conduits and (1-2) 1 1/2" PVC conduits chased between with plastic SO cord strain reliefs in the 17x28" side. This way they can remove the lid and pull out SOOW cords w/ receptacles for when they are being used. Then replace cords and receptacles and close the lid when not being used. They won't be used too terribly often as it's for a outdoor concert venue for a symphony. On top of that all the boxes are going to be covered in artificial turf. The architect's biggest goal it seems is to have nothing visible.

Wow, or maybe sheesh!
I'm willing to bet this archy has never talked with people who will be actually using this mess (like the local electricians/stagehands/etc); I'm sure they'll have a wildly-different take on the matter. And... AFAICT the archy hasn't done any proper research into what food trucks use/need (e.g. they don't use 14-60s.... see my earlier post).

Maybe you'll be hired to un-hork things after acceptance.

"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."

Relevant to concert venues-
Had a place where we spec'd (2) 6" S40 PVC with sweep bends from near the stage to where the sound control would go. Some bright-eyes decided that (3) 4" would do just as well and that's what was installed. Um, you can't fit the audio snake connectors through 4", which is why 6" was spec'd in the first place. Another case of people not understanding things and not bothering to ask.

Not that it's a sore point, here :mad:.

Status
Not open for further replies.