65k breakers

JRT

Occupation
Electrician
I have a situation where I have a 35k 600a main, but because of availability I can't find 35k branch breakers. Any issue with using 42 or 65k branch breakers with a 35k main?

kwired

Electron manager
Might want to find out what breakers are series rated with your main.

Otherwise I guess the 42 and 65 should be ok, but you may spend less if a lesser rated breaker is series rated with your main.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Generally no problem.
You do need to determine the actual system available fault current to assure the ratings are sufficient.
It is highly possible that branch breaker with a lesser rating such as 14k or 22k can series rate with your main.

JRT

Occupation
Electrician
Generally no problem.
You do need to determine the actual system available fault current to assure the ratings are sufficient.
It is highly possible that branch breaker with a lesser rating such as 14k or 22k can series rate with your main.
L-L is 26,000
L-N is 13,000. 1 pole I can use 22k
The 2 & 3 pole higher than 22k are the hardest to get from Eaton. They just started to stock 65k. I was thinking for sake of availability, it would be easier to use 65k. But the main is 35k. Thanks for the info

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As others have said if you main is Eaton you should be able to find the series ratings online. If not call or have your distributor call Eaton.

I have had main breakers added to panelboard builds to allow for lower rated branch breakers.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Usually no problem adding a higher AIC rated breaker than the main so long as the main is rated to meet or exceed the potential AFC provided to it. Understand the reason for a minimum AIC on a breaker or other equipment is to provide a safe interruption in event of a fault to prevent a rapid unintended disassembly of any component within the system, that could happen if the AFC is higher than the equipment is rated to withstand.

smoothops10

Occupation
EE
I always see a sticker on the panelboard indicating something to the effect of "The maximum short circuit current rating of this device is [...] RMS symmetrical amps, [...]V. The actual rating is limited to the lowest interrupting rating of any circuit breaker installed." Your original post and fourth post brings up an interesting point - it seems you are trying to rate the panelboard 35k for L-L-L and L-L loads and 22k for L-N loads. I haven't seen this before. I'm not saying it is wrong but generally you see a single SCCR rating on low voltage one-lines.