680.26(c) and the TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete m.

It is very possible that this has already been beat up but I have specific questions in regards to the "structural reinforcing steel".

In reference to a 3-foot paved walking area around the pool required to have the equipotential common bonding grid:

It is permissible to use reinforcing steel as the bonding grid for the paved area around the pool, unlike the "alternate means" which consists of the 8awg copper "mesh", there is no specified pattern, such as a 12X12 grid that is specified to be used for reinforcing steel (re-bar).

All that being said, I'm looking for opinions on the following;

1. Would a single piece of re-bar ran around the pool perimiter and bonded to the structural steel of the pool shell satisfy the requirements of 680.26(c) with respect to the 3' paved walk area?

2. How about a single 6 in. piece of re-bar placed under the 3' walkway since the code doesn't specify a particular length or pattern?

I do understand the intent behind the requirement but the code leaves a little to be desired in giving specifics to meet the intent when using re-bar for this bonding grid around the paved walk area.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated.

Pete

dillon3c

Re: 680.26(c) and the TIA

Question(1)-yes..*It would meet the requirement.Reinforcement rising from the pool wall,extending out 3'from the pool edge,and one band circling..IMO,it would be in compliance of 680.26(C).

Question (2) I'm not quite sure,I'm following you in this question..

Status
Not open for further replies.