680.26C Water Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Firstly, the water pipe is not an electrode. There have been arguments as to when is the pool plumbing going to always be in touch with the water. Only 9 sq. in (I believe of metal needs to be in contact with the water so there are special fittings that are made exactly for this purpose.

There is an electrode installed into the plumbing pipe, that is attached to the pool equipment bond wire. My concern is, where in the pipe system will the water always be in contact with the electrode to be compliant

If you were the Electrical Inspector and the EC is using a wet niche fixture with no bond lug, where would you be comfortable seeing the electrode attached to the pool equipment/ shell bond?

dkidd

Occupation
PE
What is the "electrode" repeatedly mentioned in this thread?
Good point. Paraphrase by OP.

The Code says:

(C) Pool Water. Where none of the bonded parts is in
direct connection with the pool water, the pool water shall
be in direct contact with an approved corrosion-resistant
conductive surface that exposes not less than 5800 mm2
(9 in.2) of surface area to the pool water at all times. The
conductive surface shall be located where it is not exposed
to physical damage or dislodgement during usual pool activities,
and it shall be bonded in accordance with
680.26(B).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What is the "electrode" repeatedly mentioned in this thread?

I don't believe the op is using the correct terminology. I believe the op is talking about the metal insert that goes into the water to give it the water bond. Not an electrode in the true electrical sense that we are thinking.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't believe the op is using the correct terminology. I believe the op is talking about the metal insert that goes into the water to give it the water bond. Not an electrode in the true electrical sense that we are thinking.

I figured as much but thought that maybe the OP could clarify. If there is a metal ladder or light etc. any additional bonding of the pool water is not required.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I was told at a Pool/Spa show this past January, water bonding is no longer required. New for 2020. Can anyone verify that?

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
This is the water bonding fitting we have been using. We will set it in the return line (water going back to pool) rather than the suction line.

"If you were the Electrical Inspector and the EC is using a wet niche fixture with no bond lug, where would you be comfortable seeing the electrode attached to the pool equipment/ shell bond?"
The wet niche fixture has a bond lug inside and on the backside. The inside lug must be coated as well with say a 3M's Scotchcast or equivalent. Aquabond is company that makes such a product.
The attached document does not give a specific required depth for the fitting location. This has been a topic of discussion with my pool colleagues. Someone even considered placing it in a main drain in the pool bottom. My understanding for it be fully effective, it must be covered in water at all times. But these fittings are subject to corrosion and they will fail from the pool chemicals and of course, ALL my customers maintain their water chemistry :)

I posted the question concerning water bonding as I was told it is no longer required. This was also prompted by a posting on this forum, regarding changes for pool bonding in general covering fiberglass, vinyl and concrete. I'd have to look at the previous requirements but it looks vinyl and fiberglass builders have some new requirements.

I didn't see anything covering water bonding. I'm just looking for clarification.

Attachments

• pb2008install.pdf
    299.5 KB · Views: 18

shortcircuit2

Mystic...do you always make sure your pool water bonding fitting/device is installed below the pool water level?

I have seen water bonding fittings/devices installed at filter/pump location which is located above pool water level.

Status
Not open for further replies.