690.13(B) for Utility Interactive Inverters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sketchy

On an AC disconnect for a utility interactive inverter, where power ceases upon loss of grid power, is the disconnect considered to have "the line and load terminals ... energized in the open position"? I say no because the point of UL 1741 is that the the inverter stops producing upon grid loss. Have some inspectors saying it's required on all disconnects, even AC. On DC discos I completely agree, but not AC. Comments?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I completely agree with you and yet it is not particularly a battle worth fighting with dimwit... er, I mean, stubborn inspectors. I've had inspectors listen to my entire discussion of an interactive inverter and say "That's really interesting, thanks for explaining that to me. I still want the stickers." Not worth saving 3 bucks of stickers to not pass inspection. :slaphead:

Where the signage should be put on is:
1) DC disconnects where there are other paralleled DC circuits that energize the load/inverter side of the switch.
2) AC disconnects in systems with stand-alone capability.

Zee

I completely agree with you and yet it is not particularly a battle worth fighting with dimwit... er, I mean, stubborn inspectors. I've had inspectors listen to my entire discussion of an interactive inverter and say "That's really interesting, thanks for explaining that to me. I still want the stickers." Not worth saving 3 bucks of stickers to not pass inspection. :slaphead:

Where the signage should be put on is:
1) DC disconnects where there are other paralleled DC circuits that energize the load/inverter side of the switch.
2) AC disconnects in systems with stand-alone capability.

what he said. those signs are for the DC discos. Because capacitors in the inverter keep the dc side live for 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.