Status
Not open for further replies.

pwolpert

I?m Looking for feedback from multiple Sources on the subject of Solar Photovoltaic Systems

I would like to have YOUR perspective on the subject.

Question 1:

NEC 2008
690.64 Point of Connection
Utility Interactive inverters
Use (A) OR (B)

If Supply Side (A) is applied are (B) calculations relevant?
(B) calculations apply to Load Side connections when (?..?this distribution equipment is capable of supplying multiple branch circuits or feeders or both?) at which point the inverter shall comply with ALL (B)(1) through (B) (7)

When using 690.64 (A)
The PV Disconnect is counted as one of the Six disconnects on the utility service.

BillK-AZ

Assuming the 2008 NEC: the requirements of Art. 690.64(B) 1-7 do not apply to Supply Side connections (Art. 690.64(B)). The PV AC Disconnect switch is one of the allowed 6 switches. The connection can be in the form of buss or cable taps, or adding a switch to a service entrance that does not have a main overcurrent protection device. Some utilities require two disconnects in series, a fused disconnect (PV AC Disconnect switch) for the owner to use and an unfused disconnect (Service Disconnect). The fused disconnect needs to be listed as a Service Disconnect. The requirements of a Service connection apply, such as use of RMC, identification of services, etc.

pwolpert

Thanks Billk-AZ,
Your response is exactly how I interpreted this section. Unfortunately, there are some UHJ that enforce 690.64(A) AND 690.64(B) together not one OR the other. They say that the load side of the Service Disconnect in 690.64(A) now will apply to 690.64(B) ?Load Side Connections?. The load side in 690.64(A), as I see it, does not have branch circuits as in 690.64(B) and there for is not (A) AND (B) but should be viewed as (A) OR (B) as stated in the NEC 2008.
Thanks for the sanity check.

Status
Not open for further replies.