6ft dedicated space above switchboard rule

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Does a 2000amp 208V 3-phase service switch with a neutral disconnect link require dedicated 6ft dedicated space above?

Is it considered a "switchboard"?

Are these disconnect switches typically made via UL 891?

If they are designed by UL 891, wouldn't they be considered switchboards?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm guessing that in the 2000 amp range it's probably a Pringle style switch in a switchboard. This is a 2000 amp service switch.

20200623_081450.jpg

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I'm guessing that in the 2000 amp range it's probably a Pringle style switch in a switchboard. This is a 2000 amp service switch.
Reason I ask is because switches generally don't require dedicated space clearances if they are the smaller ones...

So if the service switch is a bolted pressure switch such as the picture you are showing, then it's required to have dedicated 6ft of space above?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So if the service switch is a bolted pressure switch such as the picture you are showing, then it's required to have dedicated 6ft of space above?
I'm not sure if every bolted pressure switch is housed in a switchboard but for 2000 amps I would guess that it is highly likely. If you zoom in on the Eaton label you'll see it is a switchboard.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I'm not sure if every bolted pressure switch is housed in a switchboard but for 2000 amps I would guess that it is highly likely. If you zoom in on the Eaton label you'll see it is a switchboard.
Yea, saw that. It's really hard to find available dedicated space in these pre-war buildings. I guess they have to relocate the piping where I'm trying to put it.

How big in terms of dimensions is the 2000A switchboard you showed me?