70 Amp Electric Furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I was thinking of questioning that as these units usually subjected to a maximum of 60 amps per sub circuit and figured if he needs more than 60 amp supply that it likely could be split into multiple supply circuits.

I was confused because the OP wanted to use one run of #2 SER.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
Nvm I thought that was the one used by people to say 60 amp max for dwelling unit circuits of any type. Maybe it's the one they beat to fit to say that.
There is no such limitation for 60 amp max circuit in a dwelling, but at same time there isn't much out there typically used in a dwelling that would need more than a 60 amp circuit, other than occasionally a situation with one main circuit supplying sub circuits within a space heating unit as we have mentioned here. Majority get more than one circuit run to them, but some offer a kit that can be installed on the supply side and allows to have one common supply circuit.

hanklazard

Occupation
Electrician
Good luck finding an installer that marks the aux heat package on heat pumps!
I thought I was the only one! Most of my furnace units are never marked.
They can put multiple sizes of heating elements in these units and they never specify on the outside of the unit. I've had to call the furnace manufacturer just to make sure the elements were right size. One of the many reasons I don't like doing electrical for a heating and air company, they rarely provide accurate information.

hanklazard

Occupation
Electrician
The customer ended up getting the HVAC company to install the wiring, I suspect the customer was only inquiring to see if I'd do it for less.
I drove by the house and it looks like they installed # 2 aluminium service entrance cable up to the attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.