702 vs. 710

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Generator sizing with ATS... 702.4(B) or 710.15(A)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

markhorst

Occupation
Journeyman/NABCEP PVIP
We are having an intense (yet fun) discussion in our office as to whether a generator with an auto transfer switch can be sized using 710.15(A) according to the 2020 code or if it must be sized according to article 702.4(B)

Argument A says that article 702 is obviously written specifically for generators and therefore is how they should be sized.

Argument B says that a generator can be sized according to 710.15(A) because
  • 710.1 states, "... systems that operate in island mode... "
  • Article 1 defines Island Mode as "The operational mode for... an isolated microgrid..."
  • Isolated Microgrid is not defined in the 2020 NEC, but since the function of an ATS is to isolate the loads and create a micro-grid the system would be "operating in island mode".
  • The informational note in 710.15(A) specifically calls out a generator as a part of a stand-alone system
It seems like the code includes generators with an ATS in both sections... anyone have thoughts?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Thats very interesting I am going to look both those up in my 2020 code book later.

Carultch

I would expect that it depends on whether your backup sources are exclusively generators, or whether you have a mix of energy sources during off-grid mode. 702.4(B) seems to be written for generators only, while 710.15(A) would apply for multiple types of sources during off-grid mode.

markhorst

Occupation
Journeyman/NABCEP PVIP
I would expect that it depends on whether your backup sources are exclusively generators, or whether you have a mix of energy sources during off-grid mode. 702.4(B) seems to be written for generators only, while 710.15(A) would apply for multiple types of sources during off-grid mode.

It does seem like that was the intent, but then in the informational note below 710.1 it specifically states "Stand-alone systems often include a single or a compatible interconnection of sources such as engine generators, ..."

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I voted 702... primarily because it identifies that the code is specifically for Transfer Equipment, but given enough conversation, I could probably say either or.

Status
Not open for further replies.