70e instructors

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckman

I may have asked this question awhile back but it came up again in a meeting and i wasn't sure of the answer. Is there a osha rule or nfpa rule that the person giving the company electrical safety plan should have to be a person related to the field in some way?

We had the safety chief and a company guy who is not in the electrical field in any way [ he does carry a multimeter as part of his job ] give the training and using nfpa 70e as part of thier rules on working with electricity. A big part was if you work with the power off everything is ok. The field training was being taken to a Mcc room and open a bucket and test for power inside the bucket to learn how to test for power properly. Thats the field training. Does osha require more proof of training to confirm a " qualified employee"?

zog

I may have asked this question awhile back but it came up again in a meeting and i wasn't sure of the answer. Is there a osha rule or nfpa rule that the person giving the company electrical safety plan should have to be a person related to the field in some way?

There are no requirements about the qualifications of the instructor, thats why it is so scary and that is why I quit training. Competing with a bunch of yahoos that went out and bought the 70E handbook and had no real understanding or experience. The only real requirement is that the course meets the training requirements outlined in the 70E.

I have made the post severl times outlining how to ensure you are getting a proper program, get the instructors resume, references, etc... But if your company decided to use an internal guy than there may not be anything you can do about that, as long as the course meets the requirements.
We had the safety chief and a company guy who is not in the electrical field in any way [ he does carry a multimeter as part of his job ] give the training and using nfpa 70e as part of thier rules on working with electricity. A big part was if you work with the power off everything is ok. The field training was being taken to a Mcc room and open a bucket and test for power inside the bucket to learn how to test for power properly. Thats the field training. Does osha require more proof of training to confirm a " qualified employee"?

Um, did you all wear FR clothing rated for the Ei to test that MCC bucket for power????

Your "feild training" covered 1 thing, so they can qualify you for that 1 thing.

puckman

Yes we all dress @ 2* level for the field test . Thanks again
Wait, are saying thats as far as we can go in an electrical situation? If so thats , there is something wrong there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.