8 AWG grounding conductor

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Has anyone ever paralleled grounding electrode conductors from single phase panel to ground rod when you didn’t have minimum 6 AWG size?

Can this be done as we only have 8 AWG?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no provison in 250.66 to use two smaller GEC's in parallel to make a larger one. What size SEC's? #6 is not the minimum size in T250.66.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You only have 8 AWG? It doesn't have to be bare and solid. I believe a GEC can be any color if insulated. You could probably even strip conductors out of NM, SE, MC or other cables if you have it. Just need to avoid aluminum.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What do you mean by we only have #8? Do you have access to buying cut lengths of #6? I am assuming your service conductors are larger than #2 cu or 1/0 Aluminum

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Remember 250.64(B)3 "Smaller than 6 AWG. Grounding electrode conductors smaller than 6 AWG shall be protected in RMC, IMC, Schedule 80 PVC, RTRC-XW (Whatever that is...), EMT, or cable armor."

Why not just use #6 or bigger?

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
There is no provison in 250.66 to use two smaller GEC's in parallel to make a larger one. What size SEC's? #6 is not the minimum size in T250.66.
6 AWG is the maximum for ground rod type electrodes. I was in a hurry at lunch to type this post so I could not get in all details or proof read errors. The supply ungrounded conductors come from I believe 3/0 feeders supplying both a 3 phase and 1 phase panel

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Remember 250.64(B)3 "Smaller than 6 AWG. Grounding electrode conductors smaller than 6 AWG shall be protected in RMC, IMC, Schedule 80 PVC, RTRC-XW (Whatever that is...), EMT, or cable armor."

Why not just use #6 or bigger?
It’s hard to get material as company is so far away from everything and in fact there isn’t even any cell phone towers this far out. It’s kind of like the move “the hills have eyes”

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
You only have 8 AWG? It doesn't have to be bare and solid. I believe a GEC can be any color if insulated. You could probably even strip conductors out of NM, SE, MC or other cables if you have it. Just need to avoid aluminum.
We just didn’t have larger suitable GEC but we did have larger SOOW cord which wouldn’t work.

Yes never mind parallel is only allowed in 1/0 or larger but being the case could you parallel two 1/0 grounding electric conductors from a panel to grounding electrode for extremely large ungrounded feeder conductors. I don’t have NEC book at the moment so it’s possible there is a max size limit for all electrode types

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
What do you mean by we only have #8? Do you have access to buying cut lengths of #6? I am assuming your service conductors are larger than #2 cu or 1/0 Aluminum
Yes I believe ungrounded conductor feeders were sized at 3/0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes never mind parallel is only allowed in 1/0 or larger but being the case could you parallel two 1/0 grounding electric conductors from a panel to grounding electrode for extremely large ungrounded feeder conductors.
There is no provision in Article 250 to allow for the paralleling of smaller GEC's to make a larger one.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Just a thought not saying I would try it. If you out in the middle of no were
If your #8 is stranded, strip two equal lengths and wind them up together.
Take one of them and unwind completely and it should form around the other. Probably take an hour to make a good looking one but hey now you got a number #4 lol

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Just a thought not saying I would try it. If you out in the middle of no were
If your #8 is stranded, strip two equal lengths and wind them up together.
Take one of them and unwind completely and it should form around the other. Probably take an hour to make a good looking one but hey now you got a number #4 lol
You'd want the thick strand stuff if you want it to fly and you'd want to check and if anything oversize it. Separately I've never used or seen in the wild 8awg bare stranded other than SE cable. Only 8 bare I've used was for pools and hot tubs.