80% rule on service breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnewell

Does the 80% rule apply to service breakers? I am trying to figure out if we can add a pool to this service without an upgrade. We are right under 80% of the load calculation without the pool.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
If you have a proper Article 220 calc that says, for example, 200 amp then you can use a 200 amp main breaker. The "80 % rule" has effect here.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does the 80% rule apply to service breakers? I am trying to figure out if we can add a pool to this service without an upgrade. We are right under 80% of the load calculation without the pool.
There is no 80% rule for the size of the service. The load calculation tells you the minimum size of the service.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Other discussion of the 80%rule here:

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
The service ocpd must be sized for 125% of continuous load plus 100% of non-continuous load, unless it is a 100% rated device.

JoeStillman

I confirmed with NFPA that all of the loads in the resi calc formula are considered non-continuous, so you don't have to multiply by 1.25.

But EV chargers, which don't seem to appear anywhere in 220, are widely regarded to be continuous and not subject to any of the 220.84 diversity factors. I would probably consider a pool filter a continuous load too.

Status
Not open for further replies.