80% vs 100% Breaker Rating and Continuous vs Non-Continuous loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcheser

In the NEC I can find where it discusses breakers must be loaded to 80% of their capacity and the conductors must be sized at 125% of the load (or the rating of the breaker). So a 1200-amp breaker can only be loaded to 960-amps and your conductors have to be rated for 1200-amp. NEC also discusses variations if it is continuous or non-continuous loads. If I have continuous loads the ratings above apply, If I have non-continuous loads and a 100% rated breaker can the breaker be loaded to 100%? Would you be required to size your conductors at more than 1200-amp?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Standard circuit breakers are rated for 80% continuous load (or continuous load*125%) or 100% non-continuous load or a combination of both. A 100% circuit breaker is rated for 100% continuous load, the difference between the two is that he 100% CB will be designed to compensate for the more heat generated with the 100% load. Take a look at 210.19(A).

Standard circuit breakers are rated for 80% continuous load (or continuous load*125%) or 100% non-continuous load or a combination of both. A 100% circuit breaker is rated for 100% continuous load, the difference between the two is that he 100% CB will be designed to compensate for the more heat generated with the 100% load. Take a look at 210.19(A).
And to add to that, it's the enclosure also that needs to be approved and coordinated with the 100% breaker. You can't just take a 100% breaker and throw it in any panel board and use at 100% continuous.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
And to add to that, it's the enclosure also that needs to be approved and coordinated with the 100% breaker. You can't just take a 100% breaker and throw it in any panel board and use at 100% continuous.
Yes that's correct, I should have mentioned that in the section I posted the exception states just that, that the assembly as well as the CB need to be listed for 100% operation.

210.19(A)(1)Exception: If the assembly, including the overcurrent devices protecting the branch circuit(s), is listed for operation at 100 percent of its rating, the allowable ampacity of the branch-circuit conductors shall be permitted to be not less than the sum of the continuous load plus the noncontinuous load.

Status
Not open for further replies.