800 Amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain the easiest way to determine how to size ground rods for services on commercail jobs. My particular case is an 800 amp service but I have always had issues with this.

Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just drive two 8 foot rods and you're good to go. See 250.56

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it's a new commercial building ground rods are probably not needed at all since you would be using a Concrete Encased Electrode.

If ground rods are used the conductor would be sized according to 250.66 and is not required to be larger than #6 unless someone determines that it is subject to physical damage in which case you would need a #4 conductor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
bambamnotpeebles said:
Can someone explain the easiest way to determine how to size ground rods for services on commercail jobs. My particular case is an 800 amp service but I have always had issues with this.

Thanks

Commercial or residential is the same. 5000 amps , 800 amps or 200 amps-- also the same in terms of ground rods. As stated #6 is as large as you need to the ground rod, but this is not the same as the GEC that is required to a water pipe. That must be size by Table 250.66 . If you are paralleling 500 or 600mcm's then you must figure the cir.mil of the conductors and find it's equivalent in 310.16, then use table 250.66

Status
Not open for further replies.