9 current carrying conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

naplespete57

Occupation
Project Manager in Conveyor Industry
Is it absolutely true that you can not have more than 9 current carrying conductors in conduit?

I witnessed a conversation between a Master Elect. and another guy and they went thru the Code on that but I could not follow it exactly.

Can you walk me thru the code steps if that is true?

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
Re: 9 current carrying conductors

Originally posted by naplespete57:
Is it absolutely true that you can not have more than 9 current carrying conductors in conduit?
No that is not true, you can put as many conductors in a raceway as will fit per the NEC.

What you will have to do is make a downward adjustment in the ampacity rating of the conductors.

It does happen that when using modern 90 C wire on 15, 20 and 30 amp circuits that 9 works out to be the number you do not want to exceed.

On larger circuits problems can arise as soon as you hit 4 current carrying conductors.

cselectric

You can have more than 9 current carrying conductors in a conduit, it just isn't overly practical.

Lets look at 20 Amp circuits as an example. For the sake of simplicity I will assume all conductors are current carrying (which is not always the case.)

So, we start with 9, #12 THHN conductors which will fit in a 1/2" EMT. per table c.1

Per table 310.15(B)(2)(a) we must adjust the ampacity of our conductors to 70% if we have 7-9 current carrying conductors. If we look at table 310.16 we find #12 THHN has an ampacity of 30 amps in the 90C coulumn (which we are allowed to use for this calculation as THHN is rated for 90 degrees.)

so, 30 x .7 = 21 Amps. Our circuits are protected at 20 Amps, which is less than 21 amps, so all is well.

No we add one more current carrying conductor, for a total of ten.

Looking back at table 310.15(B)(2)(a), we find our adjustment factor for 10-20 conductors is 50%

so. 30 x .5 = 15 amps. No good on a 20 amp breaker.

However, if we bump up to #10 THHN we come up with a starting ampacity of 40 Amps (310.16 again)

and. 40 X .5 = 20 Amps, which is fine with our 20 amp OCPD.

Per table C.1 we are only allowed 5 #10's in a half inch EMT. Therefore we have to upsize to a 3/4"

Of course, if you add a non current carrying conductor (lets say it's an EGC) to the equation, you would have 11 #10 thhn's in that pipe and would have to upsize the conduit to 1"

It is quite possible to go beyond more than 9 current carrying conductors. Nothing in code prohibits it. But, to do so you have to be well versed in what code defines as current carrying / non current carrying, and well versed in allowable pipe fill. Perhaps more importantly, you would have to plan ahead to do such a thing, or you will likely not have a large enough conduit.

FWIW, I try to set my HR's up for two networks tops, and run them all in 3/4" conduit (unless I am pulling larger wire / cable for equipment feeds, subpanels, etc. That is more of a design preferance than anything, but it seems to be a very common design preference.

edited to overcome confusion caused by a sticky "0" key on my computer :roll:

[ August 18, 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: cselectric ]

cselectric

Originally posted by ryan_618:
It looks like you can have 608 14 AWG THHN conductors in 4" EMT, if you try hard enough.
Yes, but assuming they are all current carrying, you would need to have OCPD's no larger than 8.75 Amps :D :D

celtic

Originally posted by cselectric:
Originally posted by ryan_618:
It looks like you can have 608 14 AWG THHN conductors in 4" EMT, if you try hard enough.
Yes, but assuming they are all current carrying, you would need to have OCPD's no larger than 8.75 Amps :D :D
Even if that 4" EMT was 23.75" long?
;)

cselectric...nice example.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Well, if it were 23 1/2" long it would be a nipple, not to be confused with a conduit. Which answers that ever elusive question: "When is a conduit not a conduit?"
And if it were a nipple than it could contain over 900 #14 conductors without derating, since a nipple can be filled to 60%.

[ August 19, 2005, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: infinity ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by infinity:
And if it were a nipple than it could contain over 900 #14 conductors without derating, since a nipple can be filled to 60%.
Good point. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.