A bit of history

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
080819-0840 EST

Looking for General Radio banana plugs I came across this site. It provides some history on GR and to where it disappeared. I have their 1650A bridge and several other precision items, and from time to time these get used.

I never realized that some telegraph keys were designed for 110 V and 20 A, or that in the early days that GR made telegraph keys. GR precision instruments, Variacs, banana plugs, and precision components were the kind of items I associated with the company. In the early 1950s I used their noise generator as the basis for a random number generator.

http://www.telegraph-office.com/pages/GR_key.html

wptski

Have you ever seen any B/W movies of a stamping plant? No worker is allowed to get that close to moving machinery now. It's all guarding, safety switches and light screens. It's no different when it comes to electricity back then.

gar

Occupation
EE
080819-1716 EST

chris:

That is correct and 20 A. Thus, I expect a stiff spring. A normal telegraph key is light to the touch. In 1947 I sent a telegram via a hand key of 1860 vintage over Western Union lines from the Smith's Creek Station.

My expectation would have been a relay between the key and the spark gap transmitter. However, aboard ship this might have been considered more reliable.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
gar said:
In 1947 I sent a telegram via a hand key of 1860 vintage over Western Union lines from the Smith's Creek Station.
Theres no age limit for this forum?

Just bustin chops.:grin:

Again I thank you for another cool link gar.:smile: Your a wealth of knowledge.

wptski

gar said:
080819-1716 EST

chris:

That is correct and 20 A. Thus, I expect a stiff spring. A normal telegraph key is light to the touch. In 1947 I sent a telegram via a hand key of 1860 vintage over Western Union lines from the Smith's Creek Station.

My expectation would have been a relay between the key and the spark gap transmitter. However, aboard ship this might have been considered more reliable.

In the early sixties while in the Navy, they still used Morse Code. A standard key was used but certain qualified radiomen were allowed to use some other fancy speed key. As I recall it was operated with a side motion compared to the normal up/down.

rattus

By The Way:

By The Way:

wptski said:
In the early sixties while in the Navy, they still used Morse Code. A standard key was used but certain qualified radiomen were allowed to use some other fancy speed key. As I recall it was operated with a side motion compared to the normal up/down.

Just happen to have such a key in my junk box. Vertical motion, mounted on a bakelite base with an anchor symbol overlaid with "US".

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
Especially if they read this forum.... ;)

roflmao.gif

wptski

rattus said:
Just happen to have such a key in my junk box. Vertical motion, mounted on a bakelite base with an anchor symbol overlaid with "US".
I repaired communication eqipment. All I remember is we used two shorts and one long for the letter V(I think) for testing purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.