a blast from the past....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
the guy i apprenticed under used those same tools when he started in the trade back in '53 i believe it was. i remember him telling me about hand-drilling every hole. we're so spoiled now. ;)

when i was a first year muppet, a guy i worked under had been in since the
40's, and drilled with a double brace.... you didn't want to arm wrestle him,
even when he was in his 60's. i'd post a photo of one of the contraptions
here, but google cannot find one, and my dad's is packed in "one of those
boxes" in the garage. at least i think it is... i haven't been thru those in
20 years... need to do that one of these days.... yankee screwdrivers,
braces, bits, the whole deal.

jrannis

I remember sitting on boxes of TW wire as the passanger seat in by dads service truck, I dont think I ever pulled any.
One of my favorites is the star drill for drilling holes in concrete

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
One of my favorites is the star drill for drilling holes in concrete
I was just looking for a picture of a hand held tool with a rawl 1/4" twist bit in it. You would wack the end with the hammer while hand twisting the tool to make a hole for the rawl plugs. I remember doing this as a kid for my dad--- I thought it was a great invention.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The shop I started with in the mid 70s still had one of the old guys that would come around to BS. His service vehicle had been a two wheeled push cart. The JW I worked with had a brace & bit set we used for small jobs and those bits were sharp. Way faster than stringing out a cord at the time.

JohnJ0906

Those old tools, especially the brace and bits, bring back some fond memories of my grandfather's tool bench, and some of the projects we did when I was young. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.