A/C disconnect and GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A/C disconnect and GFCI

Electrical and Hvac...I know you are allowed to power it off the line side, we are currently using the cutler hammer disconnect/gfci combination disconnect.

One of my hvac tech called me today and said that the hvac inspectors were approving them and some companies were powering them by tapping off the line side and tricked the gfci by using the ground as a neutral and ground. While I know this is not approved under the NEC, wouldn't you have to pull a neutral and also provide some type of ocpd as wel?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

I have only seen (and inspected) these on site and in each case the GFCI was wiredf from a 15-20 circuit not associated with the HVAC unit.
I assume they do not come with the recept. pre-wired...only a disconnect and recept mounted in the same NEMA 3R enclosure. Is this not correct?

luke warmwater

Originally posted by augie47:
I assume they do not come with the recept. pre-wired...only a disconnect and recept mounted in the same NEMA 3R enclosure. Is this not correct?
That is correct.

benaround

Gents,

I have not seen them yet.but in the prints and specs for the Wholesale Warehouse we just started the A/C's come complete with feed pipe access without roof penatration,built in disconect,and GFCI recpt. also built in and all by Manafacturer

frank

sceepe

... some companies were powering them by tapping off the line side and tricked the gfci by using the ground as a neutral and ground. While I know this is not approved under the NEC, wouldn't you have to pull a neutral and also provide some type of ocpd as wel?
I would think that if your HVAC is supplied from lets say a 90A 2 pole breaker and you tapped one leg to power the gfci receptacle, you have just installed a 15 or 20 amp receptacle on a 90 amp circuit. To make matters worse, the equipment grounding conductor is used a neutral and a ground. Now you have a ground loop (and perhaps no fault current return path) and you are purposely putting current on the equipment grounding conductor. So now, some poor dude can go up there with his drill, accidentally nick a wire and have 80 amps run through him until the freaking receptacle melts.

This is a great way to kill someone. If you find out who is doing this, you need to report them to the AHJ and they need to have their liscence revoked (IMO). They just made an incredibly dangerous situation to avoid pulling 2 #12's to the roof.

sceepe

Frank,
Who is manufacturer?
I assume this is only for 120/208 units??
Do they require a neutral be supplied???
Are the integral disconnects supplied with OCPD???
If GFCI receptacle in a while in use cover?? Rooftop is a wet location eh??

Tell us more... :eek:

stud696981

The ones I have seen were designed to be put on a separate circuit for the outlet. Reason being most AC units have a larger breaker or fuse then the 20amp MAX for the outlet.

The only reason they were grouped in the same housing was for convenience and to save installation time.

[ August 16, 2005, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: stud696981 ]

http://www.3rdwav.com/ch.htm

thanks to all for your help. I sent an email to the local inspection deapartment regarding this issue an am awaiting a reply. We seem to have some what of a fight between the two inspection depts HVAC vs Electrial.

Hopefully they will resolve this before someone is injury or killed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Thanx for the link, T-Willi. The receptacle is obviously designed to be separately fed, as Augie, Luke, and Stud mentioned. I guess the feeds can share a conduit.

The PDF says that the unit is suitable as service equipment. While I may not use it for utility power, it would make a good generator feed-in disconnect.

benaround

sceepe,

The only answer I'm sure of is the voltage which is 480vac 3ph.

I'll try to get all info tomorrow (wed.) and post to this thread.

sceepe

Looking at the Cutler hammer device, I don't like it. It is way to tempting to just install a little jumper from the terminals for the disconnect to the terminals for the receptacle. (ignoring the fact that you would be putting a 20 amp duplex on a 60 amp branch circuit). Also, it claims to be for residential or light commercial. Probably not beefy enough for my commercial work.

Heres an NEC question. If the disconnect had OCPD for the receptacle and a neutral terminal in the disconnect, would NEC let you tap the 120/208 feed to the HVAC for the recpt?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by sceepe:
Looking at the Cutler hammer device, I don't like it. It is way to tempting to just install a little jumper from the terminals for the disconnect to the terminals for the receptacle. (ignoring the fact that you would be putting a 20 amp duplex on a 60 amp branch circuit). Also, it claims to be for residential or light commercial. Probably not beefy enough for my commercial work.

Heres an NEC question. If the disconnect had OCPD for the receptacle and a neutral terminal in the disconnect, would NEC let you tap the 120/208 feed to the HVAC for the recpt?
It's up to the electrician to avoid temptation to knowingly do something wrong.

As for the tap, only if there is an insulated neutral available.

benaround

Sceepe,

Got the info requested today.

The units are made by Trane,The disconnect is a C.B. and it has provisions for a padlock to lock in open position,The voltage on these units is 480vac 3ph 3W , The line side of disc. is tapped to a transformer the ocp is 15a/120vac to flush mount GFCI with w.p. cover.
Finally there is another metal top hinged cover that covers the c.b. and GFCI and that has a tab when closed for another padlock. Also the supply power to unit does not need a roof penatration as it pokes out into the cieling space below.
This company is after FFAAASSSTTTTTT opening and this is as fast as it can get.

Random Trane model# YHCO36A4

If more info needed I'll get it.

frank

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric

I like the looks of that Cutler Hammer box. I will check with my supply house tomorrow.

Question: Does the NEC require a grnding conductor outside of the conduit that is carrying the feed to the A/C unit from the disconnect?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.