A/C Load versus Heat Pump Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWH

The job I am currently on has 3 a/c's that were changed to heat pumps today. I am looking for some info on the amp draw for a heat pump in the heat mode. The min. circuit ampacity of 35amps is unchanged , what I am concerned about does the heat pump draw this full rating in the heat cycle. The load calc's were based on the a/c loads now they have added a 10kw unit heater which could be a problem if all these loads have to be figured @ the same time.

bob

you should see the compressor draw the same load whether it is cooling or heating. The 10 kw would be additional load.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is it a package heat pump or a split system ? On most if the package heat pumps I see the nameplate shows the MCA/MOCP for the unit with no auxilary heat and the same info with various heat added.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The job I am currently on has 3 a/c's that were changed to heat pumps today. I am looking for some info on the amp draw for a heat pump in the heat mode. The min. circuit ampacity of 35amps is unchanged , what I am concerned about does the heat pump draw this full rating in the heat cycle. The load calc's were based on the a/c loads now they have added a 10kw unit heater which could be a problem if all these loads have to be figured @ the same time.

The heat pump is the same compressor so it will draw the same. Basically the heat pump is the a/c compressor working in reverse. Oversimplification but...

Status
Not open for further replies.