a couple questions on 0-10v LED dimmer wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankster

So, I'm doing a remodel of a pretty good sized retail facility and all the new sales floor lighting is calling for dimming circuits to each driver.

1) can anyone explain to me exactly what these gray and purple dimming wires do?

2) are they carrying any amount of significant current, or is it just a signal?

3) is there any reason why i can't run them back to the EMS panel in the same raceways as the lighting circuits?

4) how do i size them accordingly? Ideally, if they just carry a signal and there's no current carrying concerns, I'd like to run the smallest wires possible (16's maybe?), but I'm concerned about getting dinged by the inspector when he sees a couple small wires coming out of a pipe that's nearly maxed out with 10's.

Unfortunately, i have limited info at this point, as i don't have any cut sheets for the lighting or controller. I've tried asking Lithonia tech suppport, but amazingly nobody can even tell me how they work. :rant:

Thank you in advance.

hbendillo

The purple and gray wires carry the 0-10 volt signal to the driver(s) for the dimming signal. The dimmer varies the voltage to the driver dimming input through these wires and the light dims proportionally.

hbendillo

Describe the EMS panel (Energy Management System?). Are all the lighting circuits connected through this panel? Can we assume all of the dimming controls would be downstream of the EMS Panel?

You would be able to install the 0-10V wiring with the lighting circuit wiring as long as the insulation for the wiring is rated for same voltage as circuit wiring. Usually all commercial wiring is rated for 600 volt insulation.

In my experience the 0-10V wiring is usually 16 or 18 gauge wiring. Check with the manufacturer.

wankster

Describe the EMS panel (Energy Management System?). Are all the lighting circuits connected through this panel? Can we assume all of the dimming controls would be downstream of the EMS Panel?

You would be able to install the 0-10V wiring with the lighting circuit wiring as long as the insulation for the wiring is rated for same voltage as circuit wiring. Usually all commercial wiring is rated for 600 volt insulation.

In my experience the 0-10V wiring is usually 16 or 18 gauge wiring. Check with the manufacturer.

Yes, energy management system, it's mostly the lighting controller but is also tied into the HVAC systems.

i haven't seen the lighting control panels, but from what ive gathered from what little details the prints contain, the dimmer wires terminate in the lighting control panel, which also contains the line voltage control relays.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The 0-10V or 1-10V (different mechanism entirely) control circuits can typically be power limited Class 2 wiring. You cannot run Class 2 wiring with power wiring, even if related. But if the control power source is Class 2 and the other components are safe even with a non Class 2 source you have an option available: You can reclassify the circuit as Class 1 and use Chapter 3 wiring methods and mix with power wiring, subject to the insulation voltage requirements.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 0-10V or 1-10V (different mechanism entirely) control circuits can typically be power limited Class 2 wiring. You cannot run Class 2 wiring with power wiring, even if related. But if the control power source is Class 2 and the other components are safe even with a non Class 2 source you have an option available: You can reclassify the circuit as Class 1 and use Chapter 3 wiring methods and mix with power wiring, subject to the insulation voltage requirements.

Lutron allows their Class 2, 0-10 volt control to be reclassified as Class 1 for just this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.