A Couple Rough-In Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsherrod

From my understanding, if 12-2, 14-2, 14-3 is run perpendicular to ceiling joists or floor joists you should bore holes through the joists, but I see house that are just stapled directly to the bottom of the joists in the crawl spaces and the top in the attics. Am I missing something or should an inspector make someone correct that? It seems like it would be a costly fix if an inspector were to say something. Also, the code says that power going to a fixture has to be contained in the same raceway, which would mean that when people install a heater, fan, light, nightlight combo in a bathroom that the wire running to it should be in conduit, but I have never seen this. Do people actually do that?

Codes:

334.15C for securing cables in unfinished basements and crawl spaces. Maybe attics are fine with guard strips? I have also just seen them run along the outside edge with guard strips.

300.3B "All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, etc...

Thanks,

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The "same circuit" does not mean all of the wires to one fixture.
The fan, heater and two lights are all separate circuits, just not seperate branches.
The rule or similar rulevfor NM could force you to keep neutrals associated in the correct NM if you do not use switch legs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.