a few Q's from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarchris

I would like a little clarification on some of the forum rules. I read the ruling about no solicitation but was wanting to know if that is mostly to prevent vendors from spaming the heck out of us?
The reason is most forums that I've been a part of (guitar related) had a classified section where you could sell or trade gear that us don't use anymore. It seems that would be great for us. For example I have a 2005 code book that I bought to study for the lic exam. Now NC is adopting the 2008 book and it would be great to sell this to someone in a state that still uses the '05 code (I think SC does, anyone else). Or say that members in a region want to get together and do a group purchase on white recepts or sp switches?
Any of the mods know where the line is drawn?

On another note I'm loving the forum and learning a ton from reading all the great post from around the country (and world)

ceb58

This is my own opinion. I think Mr.Holt's vision in setting up the site was for all of us, from different backgrounds in the electrical field, to be able to learn from each other not set up a swap shop. If you stay a regular member you will learn a lot, have some good laughs, get into some "discussions" that your skin needs to be real thick, and see some pics. that will leave you wondering " how did they survive that". And of course their is Marc with the cool tool of the week:D

charlie

I agree with the Tar Heel (BTW is that one word or two?).
icon14.gif

Buck Parrish

. For example I have a 2005 code book that I bought to study for the lic exam. Now NC is adopting the 2008 book and it would be great to sell this to someone in a state that still uses the '05 code
I made a gun case out of my 05 code hand book hard cover.
You ever seen them western movies where the preacher has cut the pages out of his bible and he has a daringer in their. Well a NEC 05 Handbook is big enough for a 45. I sit it on the seat right next to me. If I have to go to the bad parts of town it makes me feel more comfortable. In no way do I condone breaking any laws. I have a concealed carry permit.

480sparky

guitarchris said:

My guess is, and this is only a guess on my part, is that getting into buying and selling opens up a whole bunch of problems for the Mods and Mike.

If I sell you something, and it isn't what I represented it to be in your opinion, chances are you're going to go to the mods to play referee. They didn't sign up for that.

Or what happens in, such as your wanting to group purchase bulk supplies, someone doesn't pay, or backs out after an order is placed?

can_of_worms.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
buckofdurham said:
Well a NEC 05 Handbook is big enough for a 45. I sit it on the seat right next to me.
Imagine challenging an inspector on a ruling, and he breaks out his codebook, and out pops a .45.

"Yes, sir! Anything else you'd like me to do?"

220/221

My guess is right here...........

For example I have a 2005 code book that I bought to study for the lic exam. Now NC is adopting the 2008 book and it would be great to sell this to someone in a state that still uses the '05 code

iwire

Staff member
Chris welcome to the forum and thanks for asking before just posting. :smile:

guitarchris said:
I read the ruling about no solicitation but was wanting to know if that is mostly to prevent vendors from spaming the heck out of us?

How would the moderators know which member is a good advertiser vs a bad advertiser?

We just don't allow advertising. :smile:

I suggest you place your book on ebay. But many of us keep them, I have 6 code cycles of code books beside me.

brian john

I would never sell throw away or otherwise get get rid of a NEC. Hold onto this, you may need it. Over the years I have hd to use my first NEC 1968 several times.

Now if I retire I may sell them, nah NEVER going to retire or sell them.

IMGP0259.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LarryFine said:
Imagine challenging an inspector on a ruling, and he breaks out his codebook, and out pops a .45.

Worse yet he pulls out his code book and out pops a guitar.

Charlie said:
I agree with the Tar Heel (BTW is that one word or two?).
icon14.gif

Officially it is two words "Tar Heel" but there has been much debate over that issue. Great University-- 3 miles from home.

Chris-- What about donating the book to someone learning the trade. Even tho we start on the NEC 2008-- June 1, 2008 (Now) some beginner may benefit from it. Craiglist or ebay is another good place to sell it.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
buckofdurham'

I hope the inspectors in your region don't know about the post with the .45 cover, will give a whole new meaning to 90-4 if they copy the cover idea!

guitarchris

brian john said:
I would never sell throw away or otherwise get get rid of a NEC. Hold onto this, you may need it. Over the years I have hd to use my first NEC 1968 several times.

IMGP0259.jpg

I have a WELL worn (read: abused) '05 book that lives on the truck with me. We also have most of our code books dating back to '73 (I think) when my dad got his lic. Along with a couple of handbooks. I bought a new copy for home while I was preping for the exam. I never want to not have a copy of the '05 code. I keep it around so I can say "we never had to do it this way" etc.
I like the idea of the .45 in the book......now THAT would be the AUTHORITY HAVING JURISDICTION!

480sparky

brian john said:

IMGP0259.jpg

Here's my current collection.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
I'm always looking to fill in the holes. I've got about 24 more to go. Hopefully I'll live long enough.
Sure, if you keep busy at this, you'll avoid the risk of getting hurt on the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.