a non NEC question: Apartments smoke detectors, interconnect them?

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Some electrical inspectors here say don't interconnect smoke detectors from one apartment to another. If I were living in a second story apt. and the tenant below me for example was a smoker....I would like to be woke up in case of a fire. I don't understand. I realize this is not a NEC question. Have you experienced this ?

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
How often do smoke detectors go off due to false alarms, versus due to a real fire?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
There are pros and cons to doing it either way. What does building code in your jurisdiction require?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Either the building code or fire code requires a fire alarm system throughout the building.

Ron
Generally speaking, no. In residential occupancies, smoke and CO alarms are required in certain areas, but a fire alarm system is not required. In commercial occupancies, most do not require fire alarm systems until the occupancy meets some threshold of height above the level of egress or total occupants per floor.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I agree with Infinity, smoke alarms do not get inter-connected between dwelling units.
Since smoke alarms require 120VAC, and the NEC, IIRC, forbids running circuits between occupancies, this effectively forbids the interconnection of smoke/CO alarms between occupancies.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Generally speaking, no. In residential occupancies, smoke and CO alarms are required in certain areas, but a fire alarm system is not required. In commercial occupancies, most do not require fire alarm systems until the occupancy meets some threshold of height above the level of egress or total occupants per floor.
I agree with part of that. However, I stand by my statement, in multifamily buildings the fire code or building code, I can't remember, will require a fire alarm system throughout the building.
Now, it could be my statement is based on local amendments. 🤔 Every multifamily building that I inspected since I had the certification to inspect multifamily buildings around 2002 had fire alarm systems installed.

Ron

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with part of that. However, I stand by my statement, in multifamily buildings the fire code or building code, I can't remember, will require a fire alarm system throughout the building.
Now, it could be my statement is based on local amendments. 🤔 Every multifamily building that I inspected since I had the certification to inspect multifamily buildings around 2002 had fire alarm systems installed.

Ron
Depends on size of building and local codes. When Fire alarm systems are installed they are for the common areas of the building. There are not smoke detectors in each unit tied to the system. Imagine a 20 floor multi-unit building that every time someone burns a piece of toast the entire building need to evacuate down the stairs.