A receptacle that interupts on loss of power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarett

An owner has a problem that they loose power and it comes back on, machinery like grinders turns back on. I think once or twice these small motors have run all night.

These are generally plug-in devices. Does anyone make a receptacle that interupts on loss of power? Has anyone run across a power strip or UPS that has a feature like this?

Thanks in Advance,

Tom

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: A receptacle that interupts on loss of power?

You could make something that would do this.

Just have a small contactor, start PB, stop PB, and seal in the start Pb with a contactor aux. Just like a 3 wire motor starter.

Could add an outlet to the box if you wanted to.

We could probably supply you something like this with a UL508a sticker on it for something like $150-200 each plus NRE.

Maybe make the start PB lighted so you know when it is on.

I don't think this is quite the price point you had in mind.

sceepe

what if you install an undervoltage trip relay on the breaker feeding the receptacle. If power is lost the breaker will trip and stay tripped until someone resets it. Not sure if you can get on 20A breaker but if so, it would be a simple solution

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Don't GFCI receptacles trip on a loss of power? That just might be crazy enough to work.

Steve

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I haven't heard that they do. I've had power go out at my house, and I did not have to reset the GFCIs in the bathrooms.

How are these motors turned on normally? Why does the switch being "off" not prevent a restart?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The older plug-in or portable type GFCIs worked that way. I don't think that the newer ones do. The old ones used a relay to provide the open neutral protection that is required for portable GFCI devices and the relay dropped out on loss of power, and you had to push the reset button to retore the power.
Don

james wuebker

tarett
I think I know what your talking about. I believe that someone has wired these up incorrect. Most of the ones I have worked on has a E-stop and a start/stop swithch on them. You should have an contactor in these grinders so if you do loose power the contactor will kick out and not run. Let use know more about the grinders and we Can help even more.
Jim

rick hart

Look in Safety Equipment catalogues for the device you are asking about. The function you describe is common in machine shops to keep the machine from hurting someone when power is restored. I have seen several devices for different loads.

Hubbell makes a sensing-start-guard. If the power is interupted you have to press the button on the box before the equipment will come back on

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I haven't heard that they do. I've had power go out at my house, and I did not have to reset the GFCIs in the bathrooms.
Good point, I don't remember having to reset mine either. I must be thinking of the hair dryer!!

redfish

The GFIs I use trip when they are energized. Turn off the power, turn it back on and the GFI will trip. :)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

The Saf-Start product replaces the existing device power cord. noramlly the safety "low voltage release" feature needs to be part of the equipment.

General use GFCI recptacles have only been required to have the low voltage release for only a few years (2 maybe 3). Construction site GFCI devices have had the requirement for many more years, which is one reason "homemade" multi-receptacle devices are not usually allowed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Jim,
I'm not aware of any "low voltage release" requirement for GFCIs. The portable ones have required "open neutral" protection for many years. I think that has been added for general use GFCIs recently.
Don

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Don,

You are correct it appears most literature refers to it as "open neutral" rather than low voltage release. I must have been thinking of the way Leviton literature says "Must be manually set to ON each time it is plugged in, or after a power interruption,
which helps to avoid potential accidents with power tools".

New GFCI receptacles protect against miswiring not open-neutral.

tarett

Thanks all for your responses. It turns outh that origin of this was an OSHA inspection of the building, so I think the Saf-Start thing should work well.

Sincerely,

Tom Arett

Status
Not open for further replies.