A Very Unique Electrical Issue RFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeswithAko

New User
Occupation
Home Investor
I’ve spoken to multiple electricians about this issue and none have seem to be able to figure it out.

I have a rental home that was built in 1975 that I’ve owned for about a year. I first noticed a problem when I had 3 Ring Cameras completely stop working a few months apart.

Then one day I’m inside the home and heard a loud voice coming from a surround sound speaker that was plugged into the wall . I quickly realized the voice that’s coming through the speaker is my next door neighbor who is a retired veteran who sits in his garage and speaks on a long range CB radio. (The antenna in his back yard is about 70-80 ft in the air.)

After experiencing the speaker I plug in an oscillating fan that started spinning on its own.

********I’m experiencing a power surge that I believe is due to Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)

I’ve tested it with a Voltage meter and it’s reading between 130-158v for about 5-10 seconds. And it’s happening every 5 minutes throughout the time when my neighbor is active on his radio. At night time the voltage is reading normally at 120v.

I have separated the neutrals and grounds on different busbars in the panel and driven my 2 grounding rods. The problem still exist.

At this point the only thing I can think of doing is the Whole House Surge Protector.

Please Help & Thanks in Advance

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.