AB VFD Heat Sink Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What is the life expectancy of the Heat Sink fans on an AB755 Pump Panel Drive? 200HP, FWIW.

This rebuilt unit has been in less than a year and fans have quit.
Faulting on Heat Sink over temp. Fault codes 8 & 9.

Friday, nothing open. Crude.
Are they the outdoor version on a "fins out" package?
For the indoor versions, the expected fan life is something like 8800 hours of continuous operation. Not sure if that applies to the outdoor versions.

The 755 actually has parameters associated with the fan life that can predict an impending failure and warn you. I believe you can also program the fans to not run continuously, but to shut off once the heat sink has cooled of after a predetermined time and maybe someone has it programmed to turn off too soon? I'll check later when I can get to my PC that has all of that info.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Is it possible to jerry rig or ziptie a generic fan on top of the drive that you can program to start with the auxiliary contacts(or just let it run 24-7) until the correct replacement fan shows up? I've done that in the past when I was in a bind, but I also remember I've had drives that wouldn't start at all if one of the factory fans failed and you were just SOL until it was replaced.

EDIT: Missed your post where you said you already replaced it. Those fans always go out at the worst times though...it's almost guaranteed I get the call when it's 100 degrees out and the cows are out of water!

Status
Not open for further replies.