Ability to visually Inspect Art. 820 Bond

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwacheson

I'm beginning to see where inspectors hired by a City to inspect CATV bonds, will gig an install if all physical parts of the bond aren't visible to an outside-the-structure inspector....the theory being if you can't verify, it must be wrong? 820.93(A) tells us we must bond as close as practicable to the point of entrance, but no where do I see where everything must be externally visible. Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Exterior bonding is not required. In fact, Point of Entrance is defined in 820.2 as "The point within a building at which the coaxial cable emerges from an external wall, from a concrete floor slab, from rigid metal conduit (RMC), or from intermediate metal conduit (IMC)." Additionally, there is no requirement that the bonding jumper be external either. IOW, it can be routed entirely inside the building. Even if the bond point is external and the bonding jumper immediately is routed inside to the other end, they'd still have to go inside to verify the bod is compliant. I know the CATV provider in my area require their installers to run drops immediately adjacent to the electrical service and exterior bonding thereto... but that is not required by Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.