Abondoned Wires ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

spsnyder

Is there anything in the code that requires abandoned wires to be removed from conduits, underfloor duct, etc? The receptacles are being removed and the wires are being removed from the circuit breakers. I couldn't see any reference.

Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
For the conduits the answer is no. If the underfloor duct is cellular concrete floor raceways (372.13) cellular metal floor raceway (374.7) or underfloor raceway (390.7), the answer is yes.
Don

spsnyder

Thanks Don. I have a underfloor raceway with dog-houses. The floor is being used temporarily as storage so the dog-houses have to come out. Is there a product available that you know of to avoid having to remove wiring or pull new wire? The hole in the concrete to the Walker Duct is 2-1/8" in diameter. Thanks again.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
SP, you are not permitted to splice or cover conductors when removing floor receptacles. The conductors must be replaced from point to point where they terminate above the floor.

bdingman

The following appears in NFPA 1, Chapter 11, paragraph 11.1.4:

"Permanent wiring abandoned in place shall be tagged or otherwise identified at its terminations and junction points as " Abandoned in Place" or removed from all accessible areas and insulated from contact with other live electrical wiring or devices."

Why isn't this exact paragraph in the NEC, Article 300?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If you are going to reuse the wiring to reinstall the dog houses latter, I'm not sure the wiring is "Abandoned".

Steve

sparky252

For Clarification...

For Clarification...

I was just recently told by a AHJ, in a casual conversation, that abandoned wires, conduit & boxes must be removed. Ah, maybe it was my brother-in-law, another JIW that said that.

I'd like to leave some as future spares, as long as I tag, cap, etc and ensure they are accessible.

I am frugal and a recycler by nature so seems a shame to tear out and landfill acceptable raceways.

sparky252

hockeyoligist2 said:
{quote}Ah, maybe it was my brother-in-law{quote}

Maybe he just wanted to sell the copper? :)

Maybe, but it was only 20' of #12 THHN of the situation I asked him. He does need alittle extra cash right now tho.

hardworkingstiff

bdingman said:

"Permanent wiring abandoned in place shall be tagged or otherwise identified at its terminations and junction points as " Abandoned in Place" or removed from all accessible areas and insulated from contact with other live electrical wiring or devices."

I'd bet $50 that I read that years ago in the NEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Because there is no real safety hazard in abandoned, unconnected wires.
Don

mdshunk

don_resqcapt19 said:
Because there is no real safety hazard in abandoned, unconnected wires.
Don
A thought that all this removing abandoned wiring kick was all about removing stuff that's not being used that will emit unnecessary products of combustion in the event of a fire? No?

I know that when I celebrate Earth Day by buning the insulation off a wire pile for recycling the copper, it doesn't take much burning insulation to make a lot of thick black smoke.

sparky252

It may be more of a issue w/ commo, VDV abandoned in ceilings. Sometimes the ceiling tiles are actually heavy w/ miles and miles of cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.