Above ground pool bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojay

Does the 4 point bonding described in 680.26(B)(2) apply to all vinyl lined above ground pools? If the pool has a continuous metal wall that bolts together at one point, isn’t one connection from this wall splice point to the perimeter bonding conductor sufficient?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Does the 4 point bonding described in 680.26(B)(2) apply to all vinyl lined above ground pools? If the pool has a continuous metal wall that bolts together at one point, isn’t one connection from this wall splice point to the perimeter bonding conductor sufficient?
If it's continuous, up to the joining point, that's all you can bond to on the pool itself. Of course, you still need the water & equipment bond.

rojay

I get tripped up on the language of 680.26(B)(2), especially where it says “For nonconductive pool shells, bonding at four points shall not be required.” It seems to be directed specifically at in-ground pools with conductive shells and structural steel (or a copper grid system). Vinyl lined above ground pool structural members seem to fit in with 680.26(B)(3), which may require bonding in more than 4 points? Am I off base on this one?

russ

I been getting a lot of above ground pools this year and was also struggling to understand the four points of grounding' where they bolt together at one point. I have been requiring to only bond the pool wall at this seam of the wall by adding a lug to one of the bolts.

Bcherry

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I do a lot of above ground pool jobs in Ohio. Every resin pool I have done the inspector is fine with bonding the shell with one point at the seam,along with water and pump bonding. I had one pool installer drill four holes in the bottom of the shell and place 1/4 20 bolts through it where I could put lugs. Other than that I just bond the one point at the seam.

Status
Not open for further replies.