above ground pool grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is, when a aboveground pool is build does the builder automatic ground the pool? I need to hook up a heater for this pool and need to know, if not is there a location where to ground.. Also, Is a ground from panel to heater sufficient. A.S.A.P

bphgravity

Re: above ground pool grounding

It sounds to me like you are mixing issues. The heater will need an equipment grounding conductor rn to it with the circuit conductors. This will bond your equipment to the service for ground-faults.

The pool itself needs to have equipotential bonding for the purpose of eliminating voltage gradients. This in some cases is performed by the pool builder, but must be verified by you the electrician. Review article 680 carefully, especially 680.26 for proper performance bonding.

mc5w

Re: above ground pool grounding

Article 680 is a bit loose about aboveground pools and really only requires that the pump and heater be bonded to each other and to the equipment grounds.

However, I would want to put an equipotential mat underneath the pool and bond that and if it has metal walls bond that too. I have troubleshooted enoguh instances of soil becoming energized from a failed underground wiring run to know that an equipotential mat is also needed underneath washing machines and service panels that are on or above a concrete floor.

Same thing for bonding the supply pipes and drain pipes of a bathtub. The failed underground wiring run was also putting about 30 to 50 volts onto the drainpipe. Gave a bit of a sting to baths and showers.

Status
Not open for further replies.