Above ground tank and dispenser

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIMaster

We are doing an install for an above ground fuel tank with a dispenser (gasoline).
The tank contractor says I need to install a ground rod At the location for the metal frame of the tank.
I cannot find anything in the NEC that requires this, I believe it should be Bonded but I do not see any good reason to drive a rod.
IMO I think the tank guy doesn't understand grounding and bonding, but I may be wrong.
Is this maybe a WI tank code thing maybe??:ashamed1:

kwired

Electron manager
We are doing an install for an above ground fuel tank with a dispenser (gasoline).
The tank contractor says I need to install a ground rod At the location for the metal frame of the tank.
I cannot find anything in the NEC that requires this, I believe it should be Bonded but I do not see any good reason to drive a rod.
IMO I think the tank guy doesn't understand grounding and bonding, but I may be wrong.
Is this maybe a WI tank code thing maybe??:ashamed1:
Maybe part of fuel codes relating to the tank and any piping. But when I have seen this it was always installed by tank installation people not the electrician. I do believe they are trying to minimize static electricity and possible ignition from a static arc.

When I have seen this it has been at bulk fuel storage plants but never at a smaller final user dispensing tanks.

WIMaster

Well I got some more info from the guys that actually put the tank in place today.
This tank is roughly 550 Gal.
I asked where the lug is that they want the GEC bonded to and they said that They usually just scrape some paint off and use a beam clamp to squeeze the wire against the metal tank.
I told them that I am pretty sure that is not a listed connection and they said "they never failed an inspection doing it that way".
My sixth sense is telling me there is a reason why they never failed inspection due to that. Maybe? HMMMMM.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Update for those who may care.
It passed final inspection without the GEC that is NOT required.
There was no GEC, but was there an EGC provided for the dispensing equipment attached? Or was that all unpowered?
BTW, the tank would be effectively grounded for static purposes by being bolted (with paint scraped off) into a concrete mounting pad, whether that would satisfy any code requirements or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.