ac cable connectors in hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.
The city inspector says that the Arlington 40AST ac cable connectors I used in patient care rooms must all be changed out to the set screw type. I just checked Arlingtons web sight and it says the 40AST connectors are for AC/HCF applications. Is this guy just making it tough on an out of town contractor or is this common?

He also doesn't like the bare bond wire in the cable to be wrapped back around the sheath and anywhere this was done must changed and cut off flush. We normally pipe all our hospital jobs in my home town and the ac cable is a little out of my element. Just wondering if this guy is in the norm in his requests.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The city inspector says that the Arlington 40AST ac cable connectors I used in patient care rooms must all be changed out to the set screw type. I just checked Arlingtons web sight and it says the 40AST connectors are for AC/HCF applications. Is this guy just making it tough on an out of town contractor or is this common?

He also doesn't like the bare bond wire in the cable to be wrapped back around the sheath and anywhere this was done must changed and cut off flush. We normally pipe all our hospital jobs in my home town and the ac cable is a little out of my element. Just wondering if this guy is in the norm in his requests.

I believe the ac cable bare wire can be wrapped back around the sheath. I do this to hold the red head in place but I thought it had to be done- I may be wrong.

If the connectors are rated then show that to the inspector.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
The bond wire in HCF AC cable can be either cut off flush or backwrapped either is acceptable.

As for the fitting show the inspector the listing on the connector.

Chris

tkb

Is this the #16 bare strip in AC cable or the #10 AL in the new MCap cable?
If it the #10 AL it should be cut off flush.
If it AC cable, then wraping should be OK.

shepelec

Wraping or cutting, either is fine.

Set screw connectors where the screw makes contact with the armor are only listed for steel armor not with aluminum.

If you care to say,what town??

Yes, it is the bare redundant ground.

Set screw connectors where the screw makes contact with the armor are only listed for steel armor not with aluminum.
The connectors he wants us to use are the Arlington 4010AST and the screw doesn't actually contact the sheath, it only holds the spring steel retaining clip in place. I misunderstood him when he described them to me.

We have replaced all the connectors in patient care areas (10 total) and redid all other connections that were wrapped back on the sheath. My superintendent
at our shop has been in contact with the inspector questioning why a connector that is rated AL/HCF used on AC cable is not acceptable. His response was, the connector must be rated MCI-A. I'm confused since I am not using MCI-A cable.

As far as the bare grounding conductor being wrapped back goes, he says it is not per manufactures recommended installation instructions. And he goes on to say it may even make the redundant ground less effective. Since he is the AHJ I guess I'll have to play the game his way.

Its the bare strip that acts as a redundant ground. The inspector says that it is not installed per manufactures instructions. He goes on to say that wrapping the strip back on the sheath might actually make a less effective connection. We redid all the connectors that were wrapped back on sheath to please him since he is the AHJ.

Wraping or cutting, either is fine.

If you care to say,what town??
The connectors he recommended are Arlington 4010AST, and the screw doesn't actually come in contact the sheath, it holds the spring steel in place that grips the sheath. I misunderstood him when he described it to me.

We have replaced all the connectors in patient care rooms (10 total). My boss has been in contact with the inspector and questioned why a connector with an AC\HCF rating used on AC cable is not acceptable. His response is the connector must have a MCI-A rating. I'm confused since we are not using MCI-A cable. Once again we are going along with it since he is the AHJ.

Sorry about the multiple posts. The first one didn't come up for several hours so I thought I did something wrong (being new to the forum) so I tried it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.