AC conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have AC cable going from POCO meter outside wall thru townhome wall into main service disconnect panelboard inside townhome garage. I am confused I know that metallic conduit would require bonding bushing however does AC cable require bonding bushing above case from inside service disconnect? Is it anywhere in code?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Step 1.
Is AC Cable acceptable for Service
(Hint: 230.43)

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
No 230.43 doesn’t list AC cable however MC cable, FMC, LFMC is listed. I would wonder if MC cable,FMC, LFMC would need bonding bushing and bonding jumper from main service disconnect it’s for Tomwnhomes 240/120V single phase?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd say it's equivalent to a cable in this case, and the sheath should be ignored.

Maybe that's why it's not suitable: there's no proper way to bond the sheath.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I'd say it's equivalent to a cable in this case, and the sheath should be ignored.

Maybe that's why it's not suitable: there's no proper way to bond the sheath.

But code does say NEC 2014 Section 250.92(A)(1) service cable armor or sheath that enclose service conductor and one of the methods of bonding 250.92(B)(4) bushing????

IF you start out looking at 250.92(B), I could see how one could interpret that as not required and MC connector to have a bonding busing on it, because it refers to "service equipment, service raceways, and service conductor enclosures" and MC cable is none of those. However if you start with 250.92(A), that covers MC cable sheath, and (B) is the method for complying with (A) so I think it is clear, you need a BB on a service MC connector.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
IF you start out looking at 250.92(B), I could see how one could interpret that as not required and MC connector to have a bonding busing on it, because it refers to "service equipment, service raceways, and service conductor enclosures" and MC cable is none of those. However if you start with 250.92(A), that covers MC cable sheath, and (B) is the method for complying with (A) so I think it is clear, you need a BB on a service MC connector.

Is their such a thing as BB for LFMC or MC cable in market metallic cable sheath not metallic conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.