AC/DC Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

I researched this scenario and cant seem to find a definitive answer. Solar install with 29 panels located on the main house and 4 panels located on a detached garage. Inverter, production meter, AC disconnect, main panel and utility meter all grouped together on the exterior of the house with the exception of main elect. panel. The garage is located approx. 40 feet from the house and the conductors will be trenched over to the house and be added to one of the two arrays. The one line shows a DC disconnect on the exterior of the garage but not within line of site of the other equipment. I was under the impression that the DC disconnect had to be within line of site of the inverter or grouped with the other PV equipment, no?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Do you not have an additional DC disconnect at (or in) the inverter for all DC conductors going into it? It seems to me that the garage disconnect would be an additional disconnect that someone thinks is required at the detached building. There are code requirements that require disconnecting means for conductors where they arrive at detached buildings. If the disconnect is there to meet a code requirement for a disconnecting means at the detached building, then of course the disconnect has to be at the garage and not grouped with the rest of the equipment. There should probably be another disco with the rest of the equipment. Usually if there is one in the inverter, inspectors will accept that.

VIC1958

Do you not have an additional DC disconnect at (or in) the inverter for all DC conductors going into it? It seems to me that the garage disconnect would be an additional disconnect that someone thinks is required at the detached building. There are code requirements that require disconnecting means for conductors where they arrive at detached buildings. If the disconnect is there to meet a code requirement for a disconnecting means at the detached building, then of course the disconnect has to be at the garage and not grouped with the rest of the equipment. There should probably be another disco with the rest of the equipment. Usually if there is one in the inverter, inspectors will accept that.
The only other disconnect is the AC disconnect located between the inverter and production meter, there are no other DC disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.