AC Diso

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky_magoo

I am doing a addition/remodel. An A/C is being retrofitted to the house. I ran a 6/2 NMB to the condenser today.

I measured the run at 147'. I ordered 150'. Copper is expensive today.

The A/C contractor told me the A/C disco. must be 30" from the condensor.

Is this true? If so, I have done A/C disco's wrong for a while.

I have lived in the country for too long. Many things are not enforced here.

If I am wrong, please give a code referance. I looked briefly, but couldn't find it.

Bottom line, I don't have enough cable to pull back and accomidate the 30" request.

Who is wrong?

celtic

sparky_magoo said:
The A/C contractor told me the A/C disco. must be 30" from the condensor.

If I am wrong, please give a code referance. I looked briefly, but couldn't find it.

Who is wrong?

You might want to ask the A/C man for this 30" reference ....you won't find it in the NEC. You WILL find a reference in the NEC that REQUIRES the disco be WITHIN a certain distance.

What would be the point in requiring a 30" clearance?
The linesets, LV wiring and Line Voltage will ALL pass thru this "no-man's land".

sparky_magoo

Cosmeticaly, 30" from the condensor would look stupid.

I don't think I am wrong. I think this guy is tripping. I would love a code reference to shut this guy down. If I don't get one, I will have to comply with his request.

celtic

sparky_magoo said:
If I don't get one, I will have to comply with his request.
HUH?

Have HIM provide the reference..if he can't, do as you please.

here is your reference:
440.14 Location.
Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.
The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment.
...within sight from and readily accessible...

That's all you need to show.

EDIT TO ADD:
Look at the bold ..do that if you want ;) just watch where your screws land and don't cover access panels.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
maybe he's thinking about 36" working clearance code, which is NEC. HVAC contractor should adjust his unit around your disconnect, unless they already had their pads down before you installed the disconnect.

stickboy1375

brantmacga said:
maybe he's thinking about 36" working clearance code, which is NEC. HVAC contractor should adjust his unit around your disconnect, unless they already had their pads down before you installed the disconnect.

take a look at 110.26 (A) likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized... you can shut the disco off. so no need for the 36" of working clearance

celtic

brantmacga said:
maybe he's thinking about 36" working clearance code, which is NEC.

How so?
(A) Working Space.
Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (2), and (3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.

Is it likely the A/C will be worked on while energized?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The requirement would be for 30" of width and 36" of depth for the working space if you need to work on the disco while energized. The disco could be up to 50' away if it's within sight or as close as mounted to the unit. What size unit is requiring 6/2 NM cable or is that being used for voltage drop?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
celtic,
Is it likely the A/C will be worked on while energized?
In my opinion it is very likely. One of the first steps is to check for power at the unit and the quickest and easiest way to do that is to check at the load side of the unit disconnect.
Don

sparky_magoo

infinity said:
The requirement would be for 30" of width and 36" of depth for the working space if you need to work on the disco while energized. The disco could be up to 50' away if it's within sight or as close as mounted to the unit. What size unit is requiring 6/2 NM cable or is that being used for voltage drop?

It's only a 40 amp breaker. The A/C guy insisted on 6/2. He appears to think he is a far superior electrician to me. He has stated guys who do residential are untrained.

In all fairness, it is a 150' run.

Cavie

sparky_magoo said:
It's only a 40 amp breaker. The A/C guy insisted on 6/2. He appears to think he is a far superior electrician to me. He has stated guys who do residential are untrained.

In all fairness, it is a 150' run.

Tell the a/c guy to take a hike. All the info you need is on the data plate. Min circuit ampascity, max breaker size etc. Add that to what Infinity said.

Status
Not open for further replies.