AC install on older home

Status
Not open for further replies.

HutchElectric

What is everyone's opinion on adding a maintenance receptacle to a new AC install on an older home, where there was previously no AC unit? Required? Not required? 210.63 doesn't mention new construction, or remodel, in my eyes leaving it up to inspectors interpretation, has anyone had any feedback from inspectors regarding this one way or another? Thanks pals!

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
How close does the maintenance outlet need to be? I had an AC installed a long time ago. There's an outlet on the porch, maybe 15' away. When did the maintenance outlet become required?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
These receptacles have been required for decades within 25' of the unit. IMO a new unit needs the receptacle doesn't matter when that unit is installed.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
On the 2014 here, and there is an exception for one- and two-family dwellings and evaporative coolers, i.e. not required.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
On the 2014 here, and there is an exception for one- and two-family dwellings and evaporative coolers, i.e. not required.

The exception is not applicable as OP describes the situation.

Exception: A receptacle outlet shall not be required at
one- and two-family dwellings for the service of evaporative
coolers.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Doesn't matter. You install an A/C it needs a service receptacle within 25 feet and that's what I provide if I run the wiring for the A/C. Unfortunately HVAC installers don't want to bother and AFAIC they have no business running the A/C circuit from the panel either.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've been called in to repair damages caused by improper and non-permitted AC installations that included improper and non-permitted service upgrades. I had to do corrective work equivalent to doing the complete upgrade myself.

PhenixFord

Occupation
Industrial Systems and Controls
I would think that in most cases, installing a new / additional AC unit would require service up-grades, Therefor - permits. If no permits are involved, then I would give the "Owner" the opportunity to accept the additional cost of the installation of a Service Outlet. Your already pulling the new service for the AC unit itself. Not much more effort involved in pulling a simple service outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.