Ac/mc???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pav3rTech

OK this may be lengthy....
I was involved in industrial electricity at a company here in MO. for 13 yrs. This company had a Electrical standard that required all conduit other than ceiling lighting(emt) be rigid runs with less than 5 ft. armor filled flextight on any given termination. To me this just became the way of life. I've never had formal NEC training so I can barely get through the book without a headache.
We NEVER used either AC or MC for anything.

Now I have signed on with company X and they have an entire building wired with either mc or ac (I haven't investigated which). Everything from lighting to motor runs to control are all what in the past for me was unacceptable. Is there a code violation in the works or was my previous exposure just a durabillity thing.:-?

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
OK this may be lengthy....
previous exposure just a durabillity thing.:-?

Industrial settings sometimes have reason to do something that would not normally be done in other environments. AC/MC is perfectly acceptable in many applications.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
welcome to the forum!
There are guys here that install both of those by the mile.
Very common in commercial installations.

walkerj

Whatever you do don't look at the wiring in your house:grin:

I have personally never ran rigid except for stub-ups through a slab or a service riser.

Put some cable in my hand...

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
:smile:

Welcome to the Forum, Pav3r.

Just focus on reading Art. 330 and Art. 300 to begin with. Expand from there. Keep what you read in mind as you look at what's installed already at the new place. The patterns will emerge.

Status
Not open for further replies.