AC motor Duty Cycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel

New User
Hi all,
I am looking at a 3/4hp, single phase, 115v, REV duty, motor.

here is a link to one that's the same brand and has the same specs:
http://catalog.leeson.com/item/ac-s...-single-phase-instant-reversing-motors/113642

I couldn't find the exact one.

My question is:
Can I use a "REV" duty motor(i'm guessing REV stands for reversible) like a continuous duty motor?:?
I'm thinking that if it's built to be able to reverse while it's still moving in the opposite direction then it should be quite heavy duty...
I read somewhere about overload protection... could that be an issue?:huh:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
IMHO, an "instant reversing" motor will be subject to higher inrush currents than either a continual running one or one that is braked or allowed to coast to a stop before reversing would see.
There might still be an issue with duty cycle.
While a solid state or thermal overload should mirror the actual heating of the motor, the branch short circuit and ground fault protection might need a higher rating.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
All the "REV" means is that the wire terminals are provided for the user to hook it up to a reversing controller (starter or switch). Unlike 3 phase motors, not all single phase motors are reversible. So when they are, they let you know by saying so. It has nothing to do with the duty cycle rating.

The duty cycle is generally also put on the nameplate as an abbreviation like "Cont.", but that is actually not required. The only thing that is required to be shown regarding duty is if it is NOT for continuous use. So if the duty cycle is limited, the nameplate must say that by showing the maximum on time. If it doesn't, it's rated for continuous duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.