AC PV disco

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have AC PV disconnected supplied from the line side of the building main service disconnect.

I know the building main service disconnect non solar install is required to be readily accessible. Does NEC 2014 require the AC PV disconnect above paragraph to be readily accessible?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Yes. 705.22

The section you quoted says needs to be in accessible location. The question is post #1 disconnect be readily accessible. So if I place disco post #1 in readily accessible location but where in code it says PV disco post #1 enclosure be readily accessible? I can put zip tie, lock that requires tool to operate on the enclosure?

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Zip ties and locks have nothing to do with being readily accessible. See the Article 100 locations.

It may be that the PV disconnect is only required to be accessible, not readily accessible, but check 690 as well.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Seems to be inherent in the definition. "operation without requiring tools" .
If the handle is zip-tied you would need a tool to operate it thus not readily accessible.

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to actions such as to use tools, to climb over or remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The section you quoted says needs to be in accessible location. The question is post #1 disconnect be readily accessible. So if I place disco post #1 in readily accessible location but where in code it says PV disco post #1 enclosure be readily accessible? I can put zip tie, lock that requires tool to operate on the enclosure?

The section I quoted says that the disconnect device shall be "Located where readily accessible." I didn't have the code in front of me when I typed the last reply.

If the location is readily accessible, that's it. That's all that's required. A lock on a disconnect enclosure does not make the the disconnect itself not readily accessible. And a lock or ziptie keeping a safety switch type disconnect open would be a violation of its listing, which is a separate issue.

Also, in the 2017 NEC, the language augie quoted was changed to read " ... site to actions such as to use tools (other than keys) to climb over or remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders and so forth ... ". I realize you're on the 2014 but in my opinion it was recognized that 'tools' does not include keys and that, for example, a space behind a lockable door has always never been consistently recognized as not readily accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.