AC vs. MC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Contractor usually use MC cable for branch circuit runs in commercial bldg. If AC cable is listed as a grounding conductor while MC cable is not, why not using AC cable?
Is it because of MC cable cheaper?

Its partly a geographical thing. Some places I have asked the guy at the supply house doesnt even know what AC is and its not stocked. Some places its an everyday item. IT does seem that overall MC is much more common. I dont know why that is.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
AC cable is harder to work with because the sheathing is tougher, and there are more restrictions on places where it is allowed. I bet it costs more to. Around my fair city nobody stocks AC so if you wanted to use it it would be special order.

GerryB

AC cable is harder to work with because the sheathing is tougher, and there are more restrictions on places where it is allowed. I bet it costs more to. Around my fair city nobody stocks AC so if you wanted to use it it would be special order.
Definitely the aluminum is much lighter. Back in the day you were expected to carry 2 rolls of bx, one on each shoulder, up to whatever floor needed it. MC lite, no problem.:)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It used to be that AC was cheaper but you can't use it everywhere, like places of assembly. If you can get MC at the same price or less it makes sense to stock it over AC. At least that way too you don't need to worry about some church calling you to do some work and not having the right cable.

-Hal

mlnk

Its partly a geographical thing. Some places I have asked the guy at the supply house doesnt even know what AC is and its not stocked. Some places its an everyday item. IT does seem that overall MC is much more common. I dont know why that is.

How about; "No generalization is worth a damn, including this one!" ...Mark Twain

Status
Not open for further replies.