AC vs MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

What is the difference in AC vs MC in AC you are limited to the number of ccc's but why? is the armor better than MC I know with AC you would have to install the anti-short bushing but in MC you do not so why is one superior over the other??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Before the recent availibility of MCap, which does not contain an insulated EGC, the use of AC cable required less labor at each termination since there was no wire type EGC to splice or connect. Now you can just use MCap with the same result which IMO is making AC almost obsolete. I say almost because MCap requires that the connectors or clamps be listed for use with that speciifc cable. Those clamps might not be present in all boxes that contain cable clamps and are listed for AC cable.

boboelectric

I believe that goes back to W.W.II,when they needed to find ways of saving copper.That brought all kinds of methods such as 3 wire 240 for stoves and sub panels,reduced neutral sizes,corner grounded delta services,elimanating that copper needed for the war effort. My opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.