AC Wire Size

Brian918

Occupation
Estimator
I found this article and have some concerns about it, but I'd like to hear from this community of professionals as to your opinions. It's about a 5 minute read:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I found this article and have some concerns about it, but I'd like to hear from this community of professionals as to your opinions. It's about a 5 minute read:

Are you concerned about #12 wire and then using a 30 amp breaker? This is compliant as the overload in the motor will handle any current overload. The breaker, in this case, is only for protection from ground faults and short circuits, not overloads.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What are your concerns? The only thing that it failed to mention is that you could actually use #14 AWG conductors with a 30 amp OCPD if not using a 60° C wiring method like NM cable.

Brian918

Occupation
Estimator
Are you concerned about #12 wire and then using a 30 amp breaker? This is compliant as the overload in the motor will handle any current overload. The breaker, in this case, is only for protection from ground faults and short circuits, not overloads.
That's what stood out to me - I misunderstood the line about 'Normally this is too big to protect the 12 AWG wire, but the wire is protected by the air conditioner.' Thank you for the information!