Acb question

hvac809

Needed to disconnect the line voltage feeding a chiller to make a repair. After the repair was complete I worked with the on-site electrician to get the machine powered up. I noticed the button, circled in yellow, was pushed in. The other breakers in the room the button was retracted. It looks to be some type of locking mechanism to remove the breaker. The electrician was unsure of what this button was and how to retract it. We removed our lockouts and he closed the circuit. I verified line voltage at the chiller and was able to get it online. I'm just curious if this should be of concern or addressed by another electrical contractor. The electrician I was working with working didn't seem concerned, but it isn't reassurance he didn't know what it was. The chiller did run with the button pushed in. My concern is the breaker may become physically disconnected and cause potential chiller/electrical damage. I apologize for my ignorance on the topic, just trying to educate myself as I was unable to while on-site with an electrician. Thank you.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It allows the breaker to be racked into it's seat. When you rack the breaker in you would push the button when it's about to be fully engaged.
If the breaker had not been removed (racked out) you would not need it.

hvac809

It allows the breaker to be racked into it's seat. When you rack the breaker in you would push the button when it's about to be fully engaged.
If the breaker had not been removed (racked out) you would not need it.
Thank you for the reply. No, the breaker wasn't removed and the next inspection isn't for a few months. My concern was the button being pushed in, while all the others were out. I asked the on-site electrician if it was OK to operate it in the pushed in position and he wasn't sure. I want to make sure if this button is pushed in it won't become mechanically disconnected. Thanks again.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think if the electrician would insert the handle and make a couple turns to the right it pops back out. It has been a long time since I was involved with these type of breakers but SQ D tech services can help.