accepting credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I just signed up with payanywhere to start accepting credit cards.

I can do a manual entry or a swiped transaction on my smart phone. No contract or monthly fee. It seems to be cool and almost no cost except the transaction fee I THINK it is almost 1.7% for swiped and 3% for manual entry.

what other services do you use to accept credit cards.

dhalleron

I set up a PayPal account and created a webpage where people can go to pay me. I actually haven't used it yet except for a test transaction.

I figured I could use it even if I had to sit someone down in front of my pc and walk them through the transaction.

I forget what the fees are, but there is the usual credit card lingo not allowing me to charge anything extra if they use a credit card instead of cash or check.

svh19044

We are switching over to Square for the company android phones when our current reader contract runs out, but square will also be a full percent higher (1.75 vs 2.75). The ease of not having to bring the readers in to charge all the time is worth it alone.

Is there any other contract or purchase fee with what you are using?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I set up a PayPal account and created a webpage where people can go to pay me. I actually haven't used it yet except for a test transaction.

I do have a paypal account as well but if you do the actual credit transaction then there is a monthly fee of about $30.

forget what the fees are, but there is the usual credit card lingo not allowing me to charge anything extra if they use a credit card instead of cash or check.

I believe if you tell them in advance you are OK. For example service charge $257, if paid cash or check then $237.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I just signed up with payanywhere to start accepting credit cards.

I can do a manual entry or a swiped transaction on my smart phone. No contract or monthly fee. It seems to be cool and almost no cost except the transaction fee I THINK it is almost 1.7% for swiped and 3% for manual entry.

what other services do you use to accept credit cards.

i use invoices2go on the iphone... it embeds a link to a paypal account
if you wish for it to....

and i use squareup on the iphone for swipes and call in's....
call in's are a bit expensive.

i seldom do CC transactions. most of my stuff is commercial.

PetrosA

I have a PayPal business account that I think one customer has paid me through using his PayPal balance (instead of a CC). I don't recall whether anyone else paid me with a card or not before him so I don't remember whether there was a specific fee for that. It happens so rarely that when I do get paid via PayPal, I just let my wife know that there's some extra cash for her to spend on herself online :)

kbsparky

I do have a paypal account as well but if you do the actual credit transaction then there is a monthly fee of about $30....

I have a PayPal account and have never paid any monthly fee. They have fees of 2.9% of the amount and $.30 per transaction.

I recently sold something on eBay for $270.00. The fee for that transaction was $8.13

On another occasion, a customer wanted to use their AMEX card to pay for a $80 service call. I walked them thru the process on the internet. Fees assessed from that one amounted to $2.62.

You can check out their fees for standard merchant services here.

I don't do enough credit card sales volume to justify monthly merchant junk fees.

kbsparky

You're allowed to offer a "discount for cash" but not a "surcharge for credit"

While they are essentially both the same thing, the discount for cash is a back-door way of saying surcharge for credit.:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.