Access and Entrance to Working Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpenbert

I have a 1200 amp switchgear panel that is two sections with each section measuring 3'-2" in width. The electrical room I will be putting the panel into is approximately 9'-0" X 17'-0", and there are other panels and equipment to be installed in the room as well.
I'm not sure I quite understand the access and entrance to working space (110-26(c).). What is meant by the second paragraph where it states that there shall be one entrance not less than 24 in. wide and 6.5 ft high at each end of the working space? Does this mean there should be a door at each end of the room the equipment is in, and what does each end classify as?
Thanks!
:confused:

jtester

Re: Access and Entrance to Working Space

The word "end' refers to the end of the gear. For example, if your 6'4" gear was centered on the 17' wall, sticking out 2 or 3 feet, and each end of that gear had access panels, the general rule would require a door, in the room, near each end of the gear. That would allow someone to exit the room without running in front of the switchboard. There are exceptions to deal with only one door as well. If you can find a Handbook, Exhibit 110.13, 110.15, and 110.16, will clear things up.
Jim T

Status
Not open for further replies.