access to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanwalker

i think that i have read and understand !!???
access is supposed to be to overcurrent device,which would be a main disconnect? in a apartment a sub-panel with a main and branch breakers is not the same? i am sure this has been questioned before but could not find.
THANKS GEO

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: access to ?

230.72(C) requires the occupants of a multiply-occupancy building (e.g., apartment building) to have access to their own, individual, service disconnecting means. That disconnecting means need not be an overcurrent device.

But there is an exception to that article. The entire set of disconnecting means for all the units in the building can be under lock and key, provided that the owner has arranged for a representative to be available (on-site) 24 hours a day, throughout the year. My interpretation is that the representative can be a live-in manager (i.e., the person need not be awake 24/7, just be present).

vanwalker

Re: access to ?

charlie b,
THANK you for your reply to my QUESTION.i was thinking that the code said service disconnecting means meant the main service disconnect.
it is hard to understand anyone other than maintenance allowing it(panel) to be unaccessible or lock.THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.