Access Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

I saw an interesting situation today.

An industrial plant has an electrical distribution center in the middle of the plant. 480v panel, transformer, 120v panel, assorted motor starters.

One conduit was run atop the floor, on strut, near the panels. Apparently, to prevent a trip hazard, a stout barricade was put up. This fence runs just in front of the panels - actually, there is the required opening in the fence to open the panels - then turns to go behind the panels and across the rear of the panels.

Here's where the question arises: Mounted behind the panels is some strut, with a multitude of starters mounted directly behind the panels. The offending trip hazard also crosses behind the panels, about 3-ft away from them. Thus, this fence actually runs about 3-ft behind the panels. The fence is about 4-ft. high, and it is impossible to reach any of the starters from across / through the fence.

You can, however, climb / squeeze / etc. through the rails of this fence, to stand easily in the space between the fence and the starters. Starters are used as the LOTO point for the machinery.

Is this an access violation? If so, what rule applies? Remember, access to the front of the panels is not affected by the barricade.

renosteinke

I don't think I've ever seen a thread at this forum go over 100 views, without someone saying something!

Let's simplify things: Fence keeps you from reaching the starters / disconnects. You have to climb over or crawl under the fence to push the buttons. Horrible design- but is it a code violation? (Remember that breakers feeding the starters are accessible, on the other side of the panel).

mgookin

Something!

On a serious note, I read your post #1 and did not quite understand what you were describing. Post #2 helps. Do I understand it correctly:
Pushbuttons used for LOTO are obstructed behind a fence which one must climb over or stoop under to access. A person in there has no readily accessible means of egress. These buttons are back to back on a MDP aside a tranny. Your question is whether the pushbuttons need to be readily accessible, correct? And if there should be clear egress from the operators location?

Another question which arises: Isn't arc flash risk a consideration with all that equipment there?

Logic: Can't you keep a 3 foot stick at the fence? (not trying to be a donkey here)

renosteinke

Mgookin, you understand correctly.

I don't see arc flash as an issue, as no enclosures are opened. The panel opens on the 'accessible' side, outside the fence. Only the starters are blocked.

Yes, you could operate the buttons with a stick. Applying a lock requires you to be at the starter- unless, of course, you choose to 'lock out' at the breaker in the panel instead.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Mgookin, you understand correctly.

I don't see arc flash as an issue, as no enclosures are opened. The panel opens on the 'accessible' side, outside the fence. Only the starters are blocked.

Yes, you could operate the buttons with a stick. Applying a lock requires you to be at the starter- unless, of course, you choose to 'lock out' at the breaker in the panel instead.

Starters do not count as a LOTO unless they are the combination style with a disconnect. LOTO via control circuits, only, is not OSHA compliant.

renosteinke

That's another discussion entirely.

These particular starters have no control circuit, and are factory-made with a LOTO mechanism. Locking out the starter with this mechanism most definitely prevents the equipment from being energized.

renosteinke

I suppose I am not so sure that something is accessible if you need to climb over a barricade to reach it.

Nor am I sure I can apply an accessibility requirement, when an alternative the breaker) is so near. Indeed, since these are NOT magnetic starters (more of a mechanical switch with heaters), you can even operate the equipment by flipping breakers. (Unless, of course, the heaters kick you out. Then you get to play Tarzan).

Status
Not open for further replies.